Re: Early flap retraction

From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)
Date:         20 Apr 96 14:02:46

In article <airliners.1996.553@ohare.Chicago.COM>, showie@uoguelph.ca
(Steve Howie) wrote:

>I was on a Cdn. Airlines 737 flight from Halifax, Nova Scotia to St.
>John's Newfoundland a couple of years ago. When we took off, it was into a
>strong headwind, and the plane climbed at what seemed like an inordinately
>steep deck angle. I could have sworn I saw the flaps on the trailing edge
>of the wing fully retracting about 30 seconds or so into the climb, which
>seems very early indeed.

The presence of a head wind shouldn't affect the deck angle. It will
affect your angle of climb over the ground but once airborne, you fly
strictly relative to the air mass.

>Is this a normal occurence under such "favourable" take-off conditions?
>Would the extra lift afforded by the headwind make flap use less
>significant? Or were my eyes maybe playing tricks on me?

Once in the air, the wind becomes irrelevant to "take-off conditions".
You'll use less runway but you still fly the plane at the same indicated
airspeed (which of course is relative to the air mass, not the ground).

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   Belmont, CA, USA