Re: DC-10-30 (and -10's ??) #2 Thrust reverse useage

From:         rparpatt@uniserve.com
Date:         22 Jan 96 03:24:14

In article <airliners.1996.37@ohare.Chicago.COM>, randl@direct.ca says...

>Perhaps someone with experience flying the DC-10-30 or -10 series could
>tackle this one. Why do some airlines consistently use reverse thrust
>on all three engines, yet in contrast, others only use #1 and #3 reverse?
>
>This may also be true on L-1011's or B-727's - the reverse thrust on
>the #2 engines are not as noticeable to onlookers as is the DC-10's.
>
>CAVU days to all...

One of the reasons they don't use #2 thrust reverse on the DC10 all the time
can be the location that they are in.  If the airline is flying into a
foreign base where they either have a quick turn around time, or they don't
have readily available maintenance, they may choose not to use #2 reverse
because if it gets stuck open, that is the hardest engine to work on because
of its height off of the ground.  Because they don't use that reverser all
of the time, it is also probably the one that would cause a maintenance
problem.  Also, it is not really needed at most airports as they have plenty
of runway.  Thrust reversers are a bonus, the plane must be capable of
stopping safely with no thrust reversers.

Those are my opinions anyway.  Any DC10 pilots or mechanics?