Re: 747-300 and -400

From:         shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
Date:         19 Apr 96 02:04:02

On 09 Apr 96 14:22:47 , rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett) said:

R> Given how much slides flop around in the wind, I wouldn't be too
R> keen to go down three stories in one.

Having gone down an L-1011 slide in a hangar (initial practice for the
evacuation demonstrations to the FAA), I wouldn't be too keen to go
down any stories in one.  Keep your hands out in front of you--your
palms will thank you.  Those slides are abrasive.

R> The overhatch thing with the inertial reels is for the flight crew
R> only.

According to an article I read years ago in Callback, 747s had a
knotted rope that could be tossed out one of the windows so that the
cockpit crew could shinny down it.  I read about this in an article
that discussed the practice of taxiing on two engines to save fuel
because of OPEC, so it was some time ago.

--
Mary Shafer               NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
SR-71 Flying Qualities Lead Engineer     Of course I don't speak for NASA