Early flap retraction

From:         showie@uoguelph.ca (Steve Howie)
Date:         19 Apr 96 02:04:01
Followups:    1 2 3 4

I was on a Cdn. Airlines 737 flight from Halifax, Nova Scotia to St.
John's Newfoundland a couple of years ago. When we took off, it was into a
strong headwind, and the plane climbed at what seemed like an inordinately
steep deck angle. I could have sworn I saw the flaps on the trailing edge
of the wing fully retracting about 30 seconds or so into the climb, which
seems very early indeed.

Is this a normal occurence under such "favourable" take-off conditions?
Would the extra lift afforded by the headwind make flap use less
significant? Or were my eyes maybe playing tricks on me?

--
Steve Howie                             Email:  showie@uoguelph.ca
NetNews and Listserv Admin.             Phone:  (519) 824-4120 x2556