Re: 747-300 and -400

From:         FilipPC.DeVos@rug.ac.be (Filip De Vos)
Date:         13 Apr 96 16:44:52

Karl Swartz (kls@ohare.Chicago.COM) wrote:
: >>On VIP flights with 747F and C's ...

: >I fly 747 100's and 200's. Our 747's have two doors on the Upper Deck,

I did not know that, I thought all short-deck 747's had only one
upper-deck door.

: >not one. And they are only used (by my airline, at least) as emergency
: >escape doors. As crew, we enter the aircraft like all the passengers do
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^
: >- by the main deck door.

: Note that he was talking about the freighter and combi versions.  The

Not to pick a nit, but I should have said 'freighter and 'convertible'
Martinair has two 747-200 Convertibles. I do not know whether the Combi's
can carry cargo forward of the wing. The old Sabena 747 -100SL 's
(I think they are being or have been replaced) cannot carry freight
forward of the side cargo door. I suppose that when -100's
and 200's get converted to cargo service the stairs are eliminated.
That stand/airstair for the upper deck is real, though. It is used by
carriers for VIP flights.

--
Filip De Vos                 "Manned exploration initiatives will be
                              difficult to afford when transporting a