Re: Airbus launch Web site.

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         13 Apr 96 16:44:51

In article <airliners.1996.518@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Alain.Deckers@man.ac.uk
wrote:

> I haven't seen any annoucements on either of the two groups this
> message is going to, s.a.a and m.t.a-i, so I'd just like to point out
> that Airbus seems to be about to launch a Web site (but then, messages
> usually take about a week to get to me thanks to the wonderful
> newsfeed provided to the UK academic community, so this may already be
> common knowledge).
>
> The URL is <URL:http://www.airbus.com/> (surprise, surprise!) and at
> the moment they have very cleverly put a huge jpg on the front page
> (just to annoy all the modem users out there). It depicts an A340 in
> flight and says "Coming Soon". I hope they do and that they publish
> press releases, financial info, and their market forecasts -- I wish
> Boeing also published this latter item on the Web; hi Martin, any
> chance you could pull a few strings and arrange this? ;).

There is also an unofficial Airbus Web site maintained by an individual in
northern Europe (I forget the country).  It has photos of all the planes,
technical information, and all sorts of stuff.  It's a very nice site.

While Boeing occasionally makes general statements about how they see the
market shaping up in the future, this is not a regular or formal occurance
(at least not in public).  The airline industry is extremely competitive,
and Boeing will not do anything that could imply or instigate a situation
that might give one customer an advantage over another.  It is for this
same reason that Boeing never announces an airplane sale itself.  It is up
to the customer airline when, where, and under what circumstances an
airplane sale is announced.

C. Marin Faure
author, Flying A Floatplane