Re: Boeing 777 advances

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         22 Jan 96 03:24:13

In article <airliners.1996.38@ohare.Chicago.COM>, phj947@lulu.acns.nwu.edu
(Phil Jessel) wrote:

> I remember, anecdotally, several "firsts" and such claimed
> by Boeing for their 777 airliner, and was wondering if
> anyone could confirm, deny, or add to these:
>
> -The main landing gear trucks are the largest titanium
> parts in the world.  This may need some caveats, like
> "largest aerospace part" or "largest at time of launch."

I don't know about the largest titanium parts in the WORLD.  The 777's
landing gear is the largest single gear ASSEMBLY ever used on a commercial
jetliner.

> -Alcoa developed an aluminum alloy specifically for the
> 777, in cooperation with Boeing.  Anyone know the alloy
> designation?

I do know a new, stronger and lighter alloy was developed, but I don't
know if it was exclusively for Boeing.  Hopefully, one of the engineers
that reads this group can provide the designation.

> -The 777 uses more composites than any other Boeing air-
> liner.  Less than most military planes, of course,
> and probably less than some Airbuses.  But I do remember
> that the cabin floor and beams were composite.  Logic
> would dictate that the tail surfaces and wingtips would
> be composite, for trickle-down effects.  Is this indeed
> the case?

The 777 does contain more composite structure than any other Boeing
jetliner.  The floor beams are composite, as is the structure inside the
horizontal tail, along with many of the control surfaces and
non-pressurized body and wing fairings.

> -I believe the 777 is the first Boeing with laser gyros,
> though once again I find it hard to believe no one else
> did first.  Same goes for flat-panel displays.  Anyone
> know if the gyros were ring or fiber-optic?

Ring-laser gyros have been around since the 757-767-A310 were introduced.
The 777 uses a new-generation flat-panel LCD display, which has
considerable advantages over the CRT flat-panel displays used in the 757,
767, 747-400, and 737-300/400/500.

C. Marin Faure
Video Services, The Boeing Company (opinions/satements are my own)
author, Flying A Floatplane