Re: 747 "Classic" ?

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         13 Apr 96 16:44:50
Followups:    1 2 3

>: I've heard United pilots refer to the older 747s as "rope-starts," a
>: somewhat less complimentary term!

>Okay, Karl, so, what did they mean by "rope-starts"?  :-)

I suspect it would defy any attempt at a formal definition.  Perhaps
some story like a 747 "Classic" pilot got a new lawn mower with an
electric starter, to replace his older rope-start model, then was
talking to one of his buddies who flew one of the 747-400s.  These
kinds of terms often have an amusing story behind them ... in most
cases probably several amusing stories!

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com