Re: 747 "Classic" ?

From:         melrob@cts.com (Mel Roberts)
Date:         13 Apr 96 16:44:49

astracon@aol.com (Astracon) wrote:

>In a recent conversation with someone from Virgin Atlantic the gentleman
>referred to the airline's 747-200's as 747 Classics.  This is a new term
>on me and I was wondering what its origin is and if it is used
>industry-wide?

>Steve

British Airways came up with this term. Their pilots were (and may
still be?) divided into -400 series division and -200 series division.
I presume they were looking for a term that would sound more market
acceptable than 'old' 747 division for the -200 series group.

Many of Virgin Atlantic's pilots are ex British Airways employees,
they probably brought the term with them.