Re: 747 "Classic" ?

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Organization: Chicago Software Works, Menlo Park, California
Date:         12 Apr 96 02:11:27 
References:   1
Followups:    1 2
Next article
View raw article
  or MIME structure

>In a recent conversation with someone from Virgin Atlantic the gentleman
>referred to the airline's 747-200's as 747 Classics.

I suspect this refers to any 747 model older than the -400, i.e., the
ones with a flight engineer and real ("classic") gauges for all the
pilots instead of the pretty computer-driven color screens of the -400.

I've heard United pilots refer to the older 747s as "rope-starts," a
somewhat less complimentary term!

Karl Swartz	|Home
Moderator of sci.aeronautics.airliners -- Unix/network work pays the bills