Re: 747-300 and -400

From:         b17864@vaxc.phx1.aro.allied.com
Date:         12 Apr 96 02:11:25

In article <airliners.1996.434@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>>My friend maintains that the upper deck doors are designed to be used as
>>emergency exits only and could not be easily modified for routine use.  He
>>said that the slide housing blocks the entrance.  I knew this was true on
>>the -100 and -200 but are the -300 and -400 the same?
>
> The -100 and -200 don't have an upper deck door, except for the small
> hatch above the cockpit.  (I assume the same is true for the -400F
> which does not have the long upper deck.)

When United's first 747 landed at O'Hare, my dad took me out there to see it.
The plane was sitting outside United's maintenance hanger and set up for an
employee open house.  There was a door just behind the flight deck that we
left the aircraft from.  Standing at the top of the stairs, I can remember
being impressed on how high the upper deck was bove the ground.  I didn't think
that this was an emergency exit.

Mark Johnston