Re: AA & the Airbus A340

From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)
Date:         12 Apr 96 02:11:24

In article <airliners.1996.510@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:

>On some of those other routes, UA uses the 757 pretty heavily.  All of
>the SFO-BOS are 757s, at least the majority of the SFO/LAX-EWR flights
>and a good number of SFO/LAX-IAD are 757s too, though a pair of feeders
>for the IAD Atlantic hub operate with big equipment -- a few months
>ago, LAX was a 767 and 777 while SFO has usually been a pair of 747s.
>Right now the SFO-IAD feeders are a 747 and 757.

Actually, a 747, a 763, and a 757. There are now 3 SFO-IAD flights out of
SFO between 0800 and 0900 with three IAD-SFO between 1630 and 1800.

>AA can't have that many widebody flights on these routes because they
>don't have the equipment.  I suspect the bulk of their transcon flights
>use 757s, like UA.  AA is down to only 23 DC-10s (UA is now ahead with
>37 in service, or 36 if the April retirement has happened already).

UA is down to 21 DC-10-10s (plus the 8 DC-10-30s) in service. Of the 23
not in service, some are retired while the rest are stored and will return
as others are retired.

>UA does fly big stuff ORD-SFO at peak times, but a lot of flights are
>757s with an occasional A320 and/or 727 flight.

No 727s anymore. Both ORD-SFO and ORD-LAX are "video equipped" only markets.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   Belmont, CA, USA