Re: Boeing 777 advances

From:         dtmedin@cca.rockwell.com (David T. Medin)
Date:         22 Jan 96 03:24:13

In article <airliners.1996.38@ohare.Chicago.COM>, phj947@lulu.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Jessel) writes:

> -I believe the 777 is the first Boeing with laser gyros,
> though once again I find it hard to believe no one else
> did first.  Same goes for flat-panel displays.  Anyone
> know if the gyros were ring or fiber-optic?

The 757 had ring laser gyros from Honeywell and was the first civilian
airliner with them, so the 777 was not first. Honeywell had many of the
patents on the RLG in the late 70's when I first worked with them as a
college co-op.

Not sure if the 777 gyros are of fiber-optic construction or not.

LCD panels have only recently advanced to the point where they could
replace CRTs for glass cockpits. Key parameters include temperature of
operation, dot pitch, viewing angle, and uniformity and intensity of
backlighting. Remember that the instruments must have sunlight
visibility (try that with your laptop).

       David Medin            Phone: (319) 395-1862
   Rockwell Collins ATD	      Internet:
     Cedar Rapids, IA	   	dtmedin@cca.rockwell.com