Re: AA & the Airbus A340

From:         gt1086c@prism.gatech.edu (Gregory Glockner)
Date:         11 Apr 96 09:58:37

nagarwal@neptune.cs.uml.edu (Niraj Agarwalla) writes:

>Delta will probably put in an order for the 777 in a year or two, in order
>to replace it's remaining L-1011s.  Probably use the plane on European,
>trans-continental, and high-density routes like New England - Florida.

IMHO, the 777 doesn't make sense for Delta because at Delta's home in
Atlanta, concourses T, 1, and 2 are too close together to allow 777s
to taxi without disrupting other aircraft movements.  For a 777 to
taxi to a gate at concourses T, 1, or 2, no other planes can pass.
The 777 might make sense for DL international operations, though,
since there is more turnaround space at the international terminal
(5).

>American Airlines will, if they order it, probably use the 777 on it's trans-
>-continental routes (American Airlines is one of the few airlines still using
>wide-bodies on these routes)

Wrong on both counts.  If you mean "transcontinental" as flights to
LAX, SEA, SFO out of EWR, IAD, JFK, then you are wrong because most of
these flights use 767 or DC-10 widebodies.  If you mean
"transcontinental" as flights to the west coast out of DFW or ORD, you
are wrong again since American uses primarily narrowbody MD-80 and 757
for these routes.  As a matter of fact, UA uses more widebodies to the
west coast out of ORD than does AA.  Furthermore, DL uses more
widebodies domestically (primarily smaller ones such as 767s and
L1011s) than other U.S. airlines.  I have often found it interesting
that most of the major airlines have moved to greater frequency with
smaller aircraft, yet Delta uses widebodies for a bunch of 90 minute
flights out of Atlanta (c.f. ORD, MCO, FLL, PBI).

--
Gregory Glockner
Graduate Research Assistant             http://akula.isye.gatech.edu/~greg/