Re: 747-300 and -400

From:         Pete Finlay <pete@meads.demon.co.uk>
Date:         11 Apr 96 09:58:36

In article <airliners.1996.474@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Filip De Vos
<FilipPC.DeVos@rug.ac.be> writes
>Karl Swartz (kls@ohare.Chicago.COM) wrote:
>: >My friend maintains that the upper deck doors are designed to be used as
>: >emergency exits only and could not be easily modified for routine use.  He
>: >said that the slide housing blocks the entrance.  I knew this was true on
>: >the -100 and -200 but are the -300 and -400 the same?
>
>: The -100 and -200 don't have an upper deck door, except for the small
>
>Yes, it has, but only at one side. On VIP flights with 747F and C's, the
>passengers board through this door. And how do you think the crew gets in
>the plane? The -300 and -400 have two doors halfway the upper deck.

Filip;
I fly 747 100's and 200's. Our 747's have two doors on the Upper Deck,
not one. And they are only used (by my airline, at least) as emergency
escape doors. As crew, we enter the aircraft like all the passengers do
- by the main deck door.

> DC-10 (and MD-11, as well as Airbus) doors,
>swing out and to the side, but maintain their orientation with respect to
>the fuselage, while Boeing doors rotate.

Before starting to fly 747's in 1988, I spent 4 years flying dc-10-30
aircraft for British Caledonian. *ALL* DC-10 main entry doors doors work
by coming inwards a small amount, and then sliding up into the roof
area. I don't know where you got your idea about DC-10 doors swinging
out, but it isn't correct. And Boeing doors definately don't rotate
(propellers and wheels rotate), but rather they swing out and to the
side, but maintain their orientation with respect to the fuselage side.

Are you sure you are on the correct Newsgroup?

--
Pete Finlay in the South of England
pete@meads.demon.co.uk      paf3@student.open.ac.uk