Re: 707 and KC-135 relationship and something about the 747 (was: Subsidies)

From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>
Date:         11 Apr 96 09:58:34

> The only significant difference between the two airframes is the
> fuselage shape; the KC-135 has a circular cross section, while the 707
> has a bi-lobar cross section, with the floor at the intersection of
> the two circular lobes.  The 707 fuselage was designed to give
> passengers shoulder room, something fuel tanks don't require, and more
> baggage space.

	Actually, there are some other differences:

1) The C-135 series has a crew entry door on the lower left fuselage side
that the 707 series doesn't have.

2) The Aluminum alloys used in the construction of the 707s is very
different than that used on the C-135s (I can't remember the
alloy numbers).

3) Only the 707-120's wing planform is the same as the C-135's.  The 720s
 have an inboard glove, resulting in a root chord extension at the
leading edge and the 707-320s have the Yehudi, which adds root chord at
the trailing edge.