Re: Cruise Relief Pilots

From:         Henry Law <hjl@thelaws.demon.co.uk>
Date:         09 Apr 96 14:22:50

In article: <airliners.1996.457@ohare.Chicago.COM>  peter neville
gurnell <pgurnell@direct.ca> writes:
> I understand that Carriers such as Quantas, Cathay and Eva
> use cruise relief non endorsed pilots who demonstrate emergency
descent
> and a few other items but no T/O or landing.

Comment from Tim Bull, only partly qualified as I am only an ETOPS B757
driver.  I have no doubt that a full endorsement (type rating in UK
language) is necessary for cruise pilots.  With full training including
engine out, approaches and landings comes that essential ingredient
CONFIDENCE, which is difficult to acquire in these days of young pilots
entering the airline environment for the first time.

--
Henry Law             <><      hjl@thelaws.demon.co.uk
Manchester, England