Re: S80 Ground Checks

From:         Jay Selman <avfoto@ix.netcom.com>
Date:         09 Apr 96 14:22:49

M.Misener@freenet.hamilton.on.ca (Mark Misener) wrote:
>Last week I was on an American Airlines S80 Chicago to San Diego (and
>return). I noticed that the ground crew were putting up ladders against
>the leading edge of the wing near the wing-root, and were running some
>kind of plastic brush, or something back and forth (from lead edge to
>trail edge). I couldn't see exactly what they were doing from where I was
>sitting, but, I've been on plenty of flights, and I don't recall seeing
>anyhting like it before. On top of that, I was talking to a friend of
>mine, and he said that he was also on an S80 recently, and observed the
>same thing. He also mentioned that he noticed a parked S80 with the skins
>removed at the wing-roots. Does anyone know what was going on?

The "Mad Dogs" (MD-80 series) has a wing which contains fuel tanks quite
close to the skin of the wing.  For this reason, they have a habit of
collecting ice on the wings which can remain long after the aircraft has
landed.  Therefore, it is routine for someone (usually mechanics or
pilots) to use a ladder to check the top of the wing on each landing to
check for ice, and remove the same using the aforementioned broom.  This
is S.O.P.  This is also why a Mad Dog often needs deicing when the
temperature is far above freezing.  Removing the skin at the wing-root is
definitely NOT part of routine transient check...no idea what that was all
about.

--
Jay Selman
unclejay@aol.com