Re: 747-300 and -400

From:         Bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         09 Apr 96 14:22:48

In article <airliners.1996.466@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:
>>>The -100 and -200 don't have an upper deck door, except for the small
>>>hatch above the cockpit.  (I assume the same is true for the -400F
>>>which does not have the long upper deck.)
>
>>Isn't the upper-deck door on the starboard side on the -100, -200, and
>>-400F a service door?
>
>I had forgotten about that door.  On UA 747s (the only ones I've been
>on), I think it's inside the cockpit area, adjacent to the FE panel.
>I've never seen it used on a UA plane, though UA has the optional
>dumbwaiters or elevators for the upstairs galleys and thus wouldn't
>need to use them for galley servicing.  Perhaps other airlines whose
>747s don't have that option use the door for servicing, though it's
>smaller than the regular doors.

No such door that I'm aware of.

The 747-100 and 200 have 2 doors on the upper deck just aft of the flight deck
These are EMERGENCY exits only.
The EUD on the -300 and -400 have doors midway along the upper deck that look
conventional from the inside and outside when closed,  But when opened they
are quite different.  They open "gull wing" style (swing up) for one.  The
slide pack remains in position in the doorway for another.  The slide pack
stands around 2.5 to 3 feet high and would make entry or exit (normal) very
difficult.  The doors are designed for EMERGENCY use only.  The  reason they
are increased in size is due to the larger number of pax on the upper deck.
Next time you see a -200 or -100 look for the outline of the door just aft of
the flight deck, one on either side, very small doors.

--
Brad Gillies     Bradg@io.org