Re: 747-300 and -400

From:         FilipPC.DeVos@rug.ac.be (Filip De Vos)
Date:         09 Apr 96 14:22:46
Followups:    1 2 3 4

Karl Swartz (kls@ohare.Chicago.COM) wrote:
: >My friend maintains that the upper deck doors are designed to be used as
: >emergency exits only and could not be easily modified for routine use.  He
: >said that the slide housing blocks the entrance.  I knew this was true on
: >the -100 and -200 but are the -300 and -400 the same?

: The -100 and -200 don't have an upper deck door, except for the small

Yes, it has, but only at one side. On VIP flights with 747F and C's, the
passengers board through this door. And how do you think the crew gets in
the plane? The -300 and -400 have two doors halfway the upper deck.

: hatch above the cockpit.  (I assume the same is true for the -400F
: which does not have the long upper deck.)

: The upper deck door on the -300 and -400 is hinged at the top and
: swings up, as opposed to swinging out and to the side as on the main
: deck doors, or pulling up and into the fuselage like on a DC-10.  I

No, that is on the L-1011. DC-10 (and MD-11, as well as Airbus) doors,
swing out and to the side, but maintain their orientation with respect to
the fuselage, while Boeing doors rotate.

: don't know where the slide housing is located offhand, but I suspect
: the upward opening door would make an already troublesome jetway
: design even more cumbersome.

--
Filip De Vos                 "Manned exploration initiatives will be
                              difficult to afford when transporting a