Re: AA & the Airbus A340

From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         31 Mar 96 17:24:09

>Why do you think AA might be a launch customer for the 777-100?  They
>don't have any routes which need it -- their longest route is probably
>DFW-NRT and the B-market 777-200 has the range to fly that.  Unless AA
>suddenly scores some major coups in the Pacific market, they really
>won't need the 777-100.

The problem with the B777-200 is that it may be too big for most of AA's
and DL's general operating patterns.  TWA's recent order of the B757 was
intended to partially replace some of its L-1011s.  DL also hinted that
they might order the B757 to replace the L-1011.  Although, Asian airlines
have been order larger planes to replace their older fleet, the same trend
does not seem to apply for the US carriers.  Thus, IMHO, if AA is going to
order the B777, the majority of the order will be for the -100, provided
Boeing is able to come up with a good solution for the weight problem of the
shortened B777.  For this reason (weight penalty), I think Airbus does have
an upper hand for the AA order, especially with the launch of the
A330-200.  Airbus is also studying a light-weight A330-200 which would be
ideal for AA to replace the DC-10 and the A300 on the domestic operation.

>Another issue with the 777-100 is the matter of who wants to be the
>pioneer operating ETOPS across the North Pacific.

Asiana has been flying the B767-300ER between Seoul and Seattle for
almost a year.  Asiana and EVA have also been operating to Honolulu with
the B767 from their respective homebase in Seoul and Taipei.

--
  H Andrew Chuang (chuanga@cris.com)