Re: 757-300?

From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)
Date:         30 Mar 96 16:01:07

>>I have seen several references to something called a 757-300
>>and/or 757-300X recently.  Is this a "stretched" 757?  Is there
>>a commitment to build such a beast?
>
>The idea keeps coming up.  About three years ago Boeing was talking
>about a 23'4" stretch, which with a 30" pitch means about 9 more rows
>or 54 more seats, ignoring added galley and/or lavatory needs, and
>assuming only additional window exits.  Look in the archives of this
>group (at http://www.chicago.com/airliners/archives.html) for more
>info on past versions.
>
>Recently, the idea seems to have come back more seriously, and Boeing
>seems to be saying that it may be the next launch after the new 747
>(-500x and -600x) models.  One driving force is that the 757-200 is

	Flight International has been reporting that the launch could
come as early as this May. Apparently German charter operator
Condor is quite keen. The aircraft they are talking about seems to
be stretched but otherwise virtually unchanged from the 757-200,
in order to keep costs down.

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

"Much of what passes for quality on British television is no
more than a reflection of the values of the narrow elite which
controls it and which has always thought that its tastes are
synonymous with quality" - Rupert Murdoch