Boeing 777 interior views.

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         30 Mar 96 16:01:06

I took a look at our (Boeing's) Web Site today (http://www.boeing.com),
and I noticed the two virtual tours of the 777 are up and running.  I had
mentioned these were coming several weeks ago and then, of course, they
didn't appear, prompting several justifiably irate e-mail queries.  But
they're there now, and in fact may have been for some time.  Both
"pictures" were taken on-board WA001, the first 777.  One is of the
cockpit (I must be honest and tell you that we added the clouds
electronically) and the other is of the first class cabin.  You will need
Quick Time VR to view the shots.  If you don't already have it, you can
download if for free, and the Boeing site has a link to a download site.

Something you might find of interest regarding the 777 interior:  The
center stow bins are unique in that they are a one-piece assembly from
side-to-side, allowing each unit to be quickly removed so that the galleys
and lavatories can be moved forward or back to reconfigure the seating
arrangement of the plane. Each flex zone, as we call them, is twenty feet
long.  By moving the galleys, lavs, and closets forward or aft within
their zones, airlines can increase the size of the business or first class
sections, or add more coach seats, depending on the market demand of the
routes being flown.  A complete reconfiguration involving a galley, lavs,
closets, stow bins, and seats, can be made within 72 hours.  If this
sounds like a long time, compare this to performing the same change on
other airplanes (including our own) which generally takes at least a week
and can actually require more than a month on some models because of the
structural modifications that must be made to the floor and ceiling.

I can testify to the fact that the 777's flex zones work because I
recently produced a video demonstrating a galley move on WA001.  In fact,
they moved the galley you can see in the VR tour at the rear of the first
class cabin.   It took four mechanics a little over four hours to
completely move the fore and aft halves of the galley forward, which also
included moving the stow bins in front of the galley to a position
immediately behind the galley.  The entire job was performed using only
basic hand tools, one torque wrench, and a ball point pen (to flip the
clips that hold the overhead air grills in place).  I was impressed.

C. Marin Faure
author, Flying A Floatplane