Re: Those backward-pointing rods on A320 wing things...

From: (Ed Hahn)
Organization: The MITRE Corporation, McLean, Va.
Date:         30 Mar 96 16:01:06 
References:   1
View raw article
  or MIME structure

In article <airliners.1996.396@ohare.Chicago.COM> (Scott Wright) writes:
> Extending behind the trailing edge of an A320's main wing, there
> are two fair-sized "bulk-heads" (probably not what they're called).
> I believe they contain some linkages, fastenings or actuators for
> the flaps, and or ailerons.  Extending out of the point of each
> one is a thin rod or tube.

The "bulk-heads" are actually the flap actuator fairings, as you
surmised.  The thin rod hanging out the back is a static discharger,
which diffuses excess static charge to the atmosphere.

A bulkhead, by the way, is just a ship/aircraft term for "interior


--------   Ed Hahn | | (703) 883-5988   --------
The above comment reflects the opinions of the author, and does not
constitute endorsement or implied warranty by the MITRE Corporation.
Really, I wouldn't kid you about a thing like this.