Re: Those backward-pointing rods on A320 wing things...

From: (C. Marin Faure)
Organization: Northwest Nexus Inc.
Date:         30 Mar 96 16:01:06 
References:   1
Next article
View raw article
  or MIME structure

In article <airliners.1996.396@ohare.Chicago.COM>, (Scott Wright) wrote
> Extending behind the trailing edge of an A320's main wing, there
> are two fair-sized "bulk-heads" (probably not what they're called).
> I believe they contain some linkages, fastenings or actuators for
> the flaps, and or ailerons.  Extending out of the point of each
> one is a thin rod or tube.
> Are they:
>   a) static diffusers
>   b) some kind of sensors
>   c) fuel dumping nozzles (I doubt it, they're pretty thin)
>   d) hooks for ground crew to hang their headphones on
>   e) none of the above

They may be there to disperse, if that's the right word, static
electricity and thus reduce the chance of a lightning strike.  However,
the wires that do this on other planes are generally quite flexible, and
droop a bit when the plane is on the ground.  If what you are seeing are
rigid rods, they may be part of the flap extension mechanism, although I
don't know what their function would be.  The "bulkheads" as you call
them, streamline the flap extension mechanism.  At Boeing, we call them
"canoes."  There is another poster to this group who apparently works on
Airbus airplanes; perhaps he will give us the answer.

C. Marin Faure
author, Flying A Floatplane