Re: Those backward-pointing rods on A320 wing things...

From:         ABrowne@mtl.marconi.ca (Alan Browne)
Date:         30 Mar 96 16:01:05

In article <airliners.1996.396@ohare.Chicago.COM>, al683@freenet.carleton.ca
says...
>Extending behind the trailing edge of an A320's main wing, there
>are two fair-sized "bulk-heads" (probably not what they're called).

Probably they are static disipators.  On aircraft equipped with Omega
(navigation) receivers (and I believe the the 320 is), there is a great
sensitivity to static buildup.  The disipators keep the buildup to a
reasonable level.  If the devices in question are aproximately 15 cm long
and have quite sharp "talons" (usually two, pointed up and down) then it is
definitely a static disipator.  Often they are made of yellow plastic with
the metal conductor inside.  They are riveted to a metalic surface at an
extremity of the aircraft (wingtips, trailing edges are common locations)

Alan Browne
CMC, Montreal.