Re: An Accelerometer in Paradise

From:         rma@winternet.com (Rich Ahrens)
Date:         30 Mar 96 16:01:05

fred (f.g.) black (black@bnr.ca) wrote:
: The max loading for the entire plane may be 3g, but that doesn't apply to
: something inside the plane, particularly if it can move around.  I think
: I read somewhere that the peak deccelleration of a metal box pushed off of
: a table and landing on a concrete floor can exceed 100g!

And I recall that a vendor (HP?) developed a 1 1/2" disk drive for
palmtop computers that was designed to survive 300g when dropped from a
similar height. The heads actually withdrew when the shock began. (It
used a glass or ceramic platter rather than metal as well.)

|Rich Ahrens      | Homepage: http://www.winternet.com/~rma/         |
| "Nobody talks more of free enterprise and competition and of the   |
|  best man winning than the man who inherited his father's store    |
|  or farm."   - C. Wright Mills                                     |