Re: Snow planning

From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)
Date:         18 Jan 96 14:50:34

In article <airliners.1996.30@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:

>>So WHY did they abandon such large portions of the fleet in the
>>Ground Zero airports? Why not ferry them anywhere of the area ahead
>>of time? Then they'd at least be available for use --
>
>I don't know about the other airlines, but United got most of their
>planes out, ending up with only 17 stranded at snowed-in airports.
>Many were sitting at O'Hare, but that's because they didn't have any
>place to fly them, not because they *couldn't* fly them.  Some that

Another factor could be running out of space where they moved them to.
Here at SFO, the Line Maintenance ramp, normally near empty during the day
was almost full of 747, 757s, and 767s that would noramlly be flying the
transcon routes. I suspect we had planes parked on just about every bit of
ramp space available at ORD.

About the only place with lots of parking space available is the A
concourse at DEN (CO's and currently mostly unused). :-)

--
-- Larry Stone
   lstone@interserve.com