Re: MD-11F vs. 747-400F Design Philosophies

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         21 Mar 96 02:38:07

bdo@artos.fb12.tu-berlin.de (Burkhard Domke) wrote:

> You should drop the short-term SUD for Stretched Upper Deck  like
> Boeing did when someone told them that SUD in medical terms stands for
> Sudden Unexplained Death. The designation then was changed to EUD for
> Extended Upper Deck.

We still refer to the extended upper deck at Boeing as a "stretched upper
deck."  However, the term is rarely used within the company these days, as
the model designations 747-300 and 747-400 automatically imply that the
plane has the extended upper deck.  Since the only model we currently
produce is the 747-400, the "stretched upper deck" term has virtually
disappeared from the Boeing vocabulary.  Of course, the 747-400 Freighter
has the original upper deck configuration, but the freighter is so
different from the passenger version, there is no chance of confusion.

C. Marin Faure
author, Flying A Floatplane