Re: Snow planning

From:         "A. Kevin Rodriguez" <AKRodriguez@TASC.COM>
Date:         18 Jan 96 14:50:33

David Lesher wrote:
> So WHY did they abandon such large portions of the fleet in the
> Ground Zero airports? Why not ferry them anywhere of the area ahead
> of time? Then they'd at least be available for use -- as it was, they
> cancelled 33% of all domestic flights; I'd guess at least a third
> were due to equipment shortfalls.

So the idea would be to move the planes from these airports to places
out of the storm?  The only way the airline could do this with no
additional expense would be to depart with loaded planes and cancel
incoming flights which could be revenue producing.  (Why would you ferry
the plane anywhere?  This tells me the plane could depart.  Do it full.)
Then once the impacted airport is re-opened you have to ferry the plane
back if you want to get back up to speed ASAP.  Allowing for scheduled
flights to arrive could be why most airlines took several days to bring
service up to speed.

But up here in Boston there were a lot of people waiting to depart.
(Wearing my mail-order dispatcher's hat) If the planes are left at
"ground-zero", they will be able to bring those scheduled departures
back on-line a lot sooner and with fewer people waiting in the terminal.
If 33% of your daily domestic departures are effected by the storm,
what good is having 95% of your fleet available?  Yes, I know it's $M
of lost revenues every day but it's a SNOW STORM.  They don't last for
ever.  It's not like in Kuwait during the Guld War where the plane could
be out of commission for months if it didn't get bombed.

Are there any dispatchers from Canada out there who could offer some
expertise on planning for snow storms?  How about anyone who's
responsible for flights to Buffalo, NY?
A. Kevin Rodriguez  (AKRodriguez@TASC.com)
The Analytic Sciences Corporation (TASC)
Reading, Massachusetts