Re: Subsidies ...

From:         rching@saclink1.csus.edu (Russell K Ching)
Date:         21 Mar 96 02:38:05

Andrew Sapuntzakis (andrewsa@comm.mot.com) wrote:
: In addition to 707 production depending on the KC135, one source
: (which I can dig up) I have read claims the DC-10 did not have enough
: (commercial) orders to justify production until the U.S. gov't
: stepped in with a request for the KC-10.

I don't think so.  The KC-10 went into operation in 1980, about 10 years
after the first production DC-10 went into service.  Yes, the USAF is the
largest operator of DC-10s (at 60), but (no) they didn't save the project.
BTW, the DC-10 was selected from a pool of candidates which included the
747, 767 and (possibly to my recollection) the L1011.  I'd be interested
to see your source, though.

Russ