Re: Dominican Republic 757 crash (RISKS 17.82)

From:         Andrew Goldfinger <Andy.Goldfinger@aplmail.jhuapl.edu>
Date:         21 Mar 96 02:37:59

In article <airliners.1996.344@ohare.Chicago.COM> Robert Dorsett,
rdd@netcom.com writes:
>For the "indicator" to be bad, both the pilots' airspeed indicators would
>need to have failed.  And the standby speed indicator.  A highly improbable
>event.

Another thing bothers me.  Don't pilots develop a "feel" for their
aircraft?  Wouldn't a pilot who knew the attitude and power settings of
his aircraft be suspicious of an airspeed indication that was
significantly wrong (I am NOT a pilot, so this is a real rather than a
rhetorical question)?  What about the stick shaker -- wouldn't this have
given a stall warning (assuming it is an independent system)?