Re: Protruding "Fin" Marked HOT on A300

From:         jpstrain@netcom.com (Jim Strain)
Date:         19 Mar 96 00:44:06

In article <airliners.1996.339@ohare.Chicago.COM>, pdaniel@ice.net.au
(Paul Daniel) wrote:

> Can anyone satisfy my curiosity please.
>
> I was looking at a QANTAS A300 the other day and notice what I'd
> describe as a type of fin protruding from the fuselage behind the
> forward cargo door. Can someone tell me what this is please and why it
> was coloured with orange stripes and marked HOT. What makes it hot?

Whetever it is (some sort of antenna?), it's probably equipped with an
anti-icing heater.  When I first started working on military jets (many
years ago), I remember badly burning the palm of my hand when, in order to
steady myself on a ladder, I grabbed the vane of the aircraft's
angle-of-attack transmitter.  Wish it would've had a "hot" mark on it.
Shortened my lifeline.
. . . jim strain in san diego.