Re: Protruding "Fin" Marked HOT on A300

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         19 Mar 96 00:44:06

In article <airliners.1996.339@ohare.Chicago.COM>, pdaniel@ice.net.au
(Paul Daniel) wrote:

> Can anyone satisfy my curiosity please.
>
> I was looking at a QANTAS A300 the other day and notice what I'd
> describe as a type of fin protruding from the fuselage behind the
> forward cargo door. Can someone tell me what this is please and why it
> was coloured with orange stripes and marked HOT. What makes it hot?

This is not exclusive to Airbus.  What you saw may have been an antenna or
a pitot tube or an angle of attack indicator, although the last two are
usually mounted forward on the body below the cockpit.  The "hot" means
that it is heated to prevent the formation of ice, either electrically or
by hot bleed air.  In the case of an antenna, it is probably heated by
electricity.  While the anti-ice is not usually switched on on the ground,
it may be, or outside condtions may require it to be, in which case
someone grabbing it by mistake could be burned.  Heating the fin is
necessary because an ice buildup could tear it off the plane during
flight.

C. Marin Faure
author, Flying A Floatplane