Re: Airbus A3XX---vapor plane?

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         19 Mar 96 00:44:04

In article <airliners.1996.369@ohare.Chicago.COM> michel gammon <jmgammon@logiscom.com> writes:
>Would it be any worse than the losses when the Titanic (1500+ lost), or
>Lusitania (1195 lost), or the Empress of Ireland in the Gulf of St.
>Lawrence (1014 lost) went down?

Airline crashes have long attracted far more press attention than
other types of crashes.  People are fundamentally nervous about flying.
When a train crashes, or a boat sinks, the stories are covered as curiosities
because they are considered completely reliable forms of transportation
(erroneously!) by the public: what, for example, is so difficult about maneu-
vering down a railroad track? :-)  When accidents like those happen, it
is usually perceived as obviously a case of human error or stupidity.

For a quick check of the impact of crashes on the public's perception of
air safety, take a look at rec.travel.  A larger crowd of hand-wringers
you will never see. :-)

And, yes, if the Titanic and Lusitania went down in the information age,
I suspect that their impact would have been pretty significant.  They were
pretty damned significant as it is, as evidenced by your citation of the
incidents.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av