Re: MD-11F vs. 747-400F Design Philosophies

From:         Imran Haq <ihaq@mit.edu>
Date:         14 Mar 96 17:49:34

>I've seen a number of these
>as well, and I'm puzzled about Boeing's decision to use the standard
>-100 and -200 upper deck instead of the stretched upper deck used in the
>passenger variant.

Although weight is a concern, I would have thought that the SUD adds a
aerodynamic benefit that would counter some of this weight penalty. One the
passenger side, the SUD aircrafts are somewhat more efficient than the
-100 and -200 versions (though the exact % benefit excapes me right now).
The SUD's benefit can probably (if crudely) explained using the transonic
area rule.

Imran Haq
ihaq@mit.edu