Re: 757 flight recorder located

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         14 Mar 96 17:49:32

>... and the A3XX family (and others?) use ACARS, which *is* a full
>real-time system for transmitting operating parameters. The implementation
>depends on the ability of the carrier to receive the data, not on the
>ability of the aircraft to transmit it.

ACARS is widely available -- United and Delta both use it on their
entire fleet, for example.  However, my understanding of it is that
it does not have the sort of bandwidth required for a DFDR downlink
sort of application, and I'm not sure it even qualifies as a real-
time system.  It might provide some dozens of reports on a typical
flight, with some fairly basic data, and not a continuous stream
covering hundreds of datapoints.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com