Re: A second 757 crash -- off the Dominican coast

From:         gt1208a@prism.gatech.edu (Peter Hollingsworth)
Date:         07 Mar 96 02:06:22

In article <airliners.1996.305@ohare.Chicago.COM>, wolpjame@cwis.isu.edu
(Jim Wolper) wrote:

> Jets can run on avgas, but piston engines will suffer from detonation
> and severe loss of power if run on kerosene (jet fuels).  For example,
> the Garret engines in the Swearingen metroliner are allowed a certain
> amount of avgas per overhaul cycle (I don't remember the number
> but it is something on the order of a few hundred gallons).  On
> the other hand, most any piston engine would be destroyed quickly
> by kerosene.

Why would it suffer from detonation, Kersosene is closer to desil fuel
then ligh petroleum distilates. Using Jet fuel in an gasolene powered
pistron engine is akin to using desil fuel in the same engine. In fact the
U.S. military is standardizing all of the desil and turbine powred
vehicles to run on Kerosene.

--
Peter Hollingsworth
The Grand Scale Earthly Destructor