Re: Northwest and Airbus: good news for A320, more bad news for A330

From:         gsjames@ix.netcom.com (Gary S. James )
Date:         07 Mar 96 02:04:43

In <airliners.1996.300@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl
Swartz) writes:

>On Monday, Northwest announced an order for 20 Airbus A320 aircraft,
>with ten to be delivered in 1998 and 1999.  Northwest's fleet already
>includes 50 A320s with CFM56-5A1 engines.  (The announcement did not
>specify Northwest's engine choice but it's unlikely that they would
>switch to the IAE V2500.)

 (snip)

Karl:

As you implied there is significantly more to the deal than meets the
eye.  After having been raked over the coals with the earlier
cancellation of the A340 order when NWA was near bankrupcy, it was most
likely necessary to defer the 16 A330 FIRM orders that still were on
the books with AirBus.  With the current route structure of NWA, the
A330's don't make too much sense.  The 16 A330's were to be powered by
P&W's and they hold a lein on the loan. So, it wasn't possible to
simply subsitute A320's with CFM's.  So they worked out a deal, defer
the A330's, take some A320's and also buy hushkits for P&W JT-8D's from
P&W instead of some third party.  NWA needs the hushkits anyway, as
they plan to keep DC-9-30's around for a long time.  There are also
some 727 hushkits included in the deal.  With the current structure of
the deal, every body gets a little something, and NWA buys time to work
out their future fleet plans.

This is just the casual observation of a lowly A320 line pilot and may
not have anything at all to do with reality...  The big boys don't
confide in me for some strange reason...

--
Curved Air Technologies			GSJames@ix.netcom.com
Gary S. James				70264.2530@CompuServe.com

Aircraft Design, Analysis and Consulting