Re: Airbus A3XX---vapor plane?

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         07 Mar 96 02:04:43
Followups:    1 2 3

In article <airliners.1996.309@ohare.Chicago.COM> carvalho@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Tassio A. Carvalho) writes:

><rna@gsb-birr.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)> wrote:
>>There's no question that Boeing makes a lot of its money from the 747,
>
>That only happens because the 747 has been around for a long time.
>The A3XX is Airbus' self destruction button.
>Boeing's own production estimates for the 747 derivatives
>look pretty conservative (~25/year).

The May 27, 1978 issue of FLIGHT INTERNATIONAL (back when the magazine was
actually pretty cool) had a story in which they discussed Boeing's finally
having recovered its development and production costs on the 747--at the
400-airplane mark.

Even adjusted for inflation, development costs for a new airplane are going
to be astronomical, and for anyone to attempt a *new* design is madness,
assuming that the development and production costs are to be provided by
actual sales of the product.

Everyone will lose.  And after a bad safety year, I would wonder about
the acceptance of the public to a design in which the human loss following
a crash would be incomprehensible.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av