Re: MD-11F vs. 747-400F Design Philosophies

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         07 Mar 96 02:04:37

In article <airliners.1996.280@ohare.Chicago.COM>, etech@deltanet.com
(Eric Chevalier) wrote:
>...I'm puzzled about Boeing's decision to use the standard
> -100 and -200 upper deck instead of the stretched upper deck used in the
> passenger variant.  I understand that the SUD probably wouldn't be of
> much use in cargo operations.  But if a 747-400F operator decided that
> the cargo market was not worth pursuing and wanted to convert their
> freighters to a passenger configuration, wouldn't putting in the SUD be
> an expensive retrofit?

The stretched upper deck is not the only thing an operator would have to
deal with to convert a freighter to passenger use.  There's also the
matter of the opening nose, which would be weight and systems the operator
would probably like to get rid of, along with the beefed up floor.  The
truth of the matter is that with the projected growth of the air freight
market, there is little probablility of a 747 freighter being converted to
passenger use.  And the "standard" deck isn't a huge liability- British
Airways, for instance, operates 747-100s to Seattle, and the plane fits
the load factor almost perfectly right now.

C. Marin Faure
author, Flying A Floatplane