Re: TWA Flt800 - Boeing Comments on Fuel Tank?

Date:         28 Dec 96 14:20:11
From:         "Bilal Yousuf" <Bilal-yousuf@worldnet.att.net>

In article <airliners.1996.2884@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Heath Smith
<heath@ismi.net> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the latest comments are out of Boeing regaurding
> the NTSB suggestion that the main fuel tank was "possibly" ingnited by
> static electricity?
>
> Is the NTSB stating that they know more about intriniscally safe
> electronics than Boeing?
>
> Where is the arguements from the manufacturers? That is a cold slap in
> the face dont you think?

Boeing's position is that all sources of energy are desiged out of the fuel
system by way of proper grounding, jumper wires etc. I believe they are
right, but ground jumper wires and protective designs are never restored to
their proper factory conditions in service. We mechanics are just not that
carefull.