Re: Boeing 767-400

Date:         28 Dec 96 14:20:09
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Boeing seems to be working/planning/thinking about new 737s, new 767s,
>new 747s and new 777s.

You forgot about the new 757 -- the recently launched 757-300.

>However, apart from the (obvious) 777 and the new 747s, I do not see any
>mention of having 777 style FBW systems on those new/updated planes.

You can't just pull out the cables and pulleys and plug in a bunch of
wires.  Converting to FBW requires a massive redesign.  This may not
be as big an issue for the 747-500X/600X since the wings, where a lot
of work would happen, will be new anyway.  The horizontal stabilizers
are new, too, though the vertical tail was a modification instead of a
new design last I saw.  If the airlines want to pay for a new cockpit
while they're at it, most everything will end up being redesigned so
converting to FBW is not a major additional project.

>If Boeing is to produce a new version of the 767, would it retain the
>conventional 767 controls or migrate to the 777 style of controls ?

I'd be very surprised if it did not retain the controls of the 767-300
more or less intact.

>What about the new 737s ?

Definitely not.  The airlines wanted commonality with the 737-300 and
other 2nd generation 737s, and didn't want the higher prices that such
an extensive redesign would lead to.

>I am puzzled that Boeing doesn't seem to be pushing a roll out of the
>777-FBW system across its entire product line to enhance its position
>against Airbus which has a fair amount of cockpit commonality across its
>models.

FBW itself does not seem to have any significant marketing advantage.
Apparently cockpit commonality doesn't either -- Boeing's customers,
the airlines, are the ones who have pushed for updated cockpits at the
expense of maintaining commonality.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com