Re: Boeing 767 question

Date:         27 Dec 96 19:09:40
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1996.3074@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "Mark E. Ingram"
<markt@mickey.mo-net.com> wrote:

> On 16 Dec 1996, Steven G. Thomson wrote:
>
> > The Air Canada 767 that made an deadstick landing on a closed runway at
> > Gimli, Manitoba after running out of fuel at cruising altitude was unable
> > to lower the flaps or slats.
>
> Just a minor historical footnote to this ongoing discussion:  Whether or
> not the ram air turbine (RAT) hydraulics had anything to do with the
> nosegear collapsing upon the airplane's touchdown, I do not know, but I do
> remember from reading reports at the time that if this gear had *not*
> collapsed (and thus helped considerably to stop the aircraft), there could
> have ensued *major* damage and casualties.

As I said in reply to another post, the nosegear of the Air Canada 767
that landed at Gimli DID NOT COLLAPSE and send the plane skidding down the
runway on its nose.  This is some sort of myth started (I assume) by the
TV movie and maybe the book it was based on.

The plane made a normal touchdown and rollout, but without thrust
reversers and with only minimal braking it rolled all the way to the end
of the runway where at a very slow speed it hit a Jersey barrier (or
portable barrier, I don't remember which) that was being used to deliniate
the sports car track.  At that point, the nosewheel was pushed back
slightly by the barrier (remember, it retracts forward, not backward so
would not be inclined to collapse on landing anyway) and the nose sat down
on top of the barrier.  I clearly remember seeing photographs here at
Boeing showing the virtually undamaged airplane sitting with its nose
resting on the barrier.  The passengers were deplaned safely and we
dispatched an AOG team to repair the plane.  I remember reading in the
Boeing News that when they jacked the plane up, the AOG team found the
nosegear relatively undamaged.  A few minor repairs were all that were
needed (plus some fuel) and the plane was flown out a day or so after the
landing.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane