Re: Aer Lingus Viscount, 1968 (was: KAL shot down by USSR ...)

Date:         27 Dec 96 19:09:40
From:         ifly <ifly@indigo.ie>

Michael Carley <mjcarley@maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

>Although I did hear (second-hand for what that's worth)
>that one of the fragments that was recovered was burnt
>in a manner suggestive of a missile strike. Is there
>anything to this?

Micheal, I hadn`t heard of this fragment. One of the larger fuselage
fragments of the Viscount had an orange streak on it (drones are painted
orange, it`s actually thought it was a target drone, which is an obselete
jet fighter, probably a Gloster Meteor in this case, that collided with
the Viscount) But an engine was recovered near the Saltee`s last year of
the correct type and in the spot where witnesses saw the second aircraft
crash.

Jeff Morris