Re: A330/340 vs. B777

Date:         27 Dec 96 19:09:39
From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)

H Andrew Chuang <Chuanga@cris.com> wrote:

>third of the A330 backlog.  I think Boeing cannot afford not to launch
>the B767-400ERX.  My guess is Boeing will launch the -400ERX early
>next year with orders from Delta and at least one Asian airline.  (No,
>Delta has not committed to the -400ERX, I'm just guessing.)  I'm a bit
>surprised that the proposed -400ERX will still use the 62K engine that
>powers the B767-300ER.  However, to get to the next thrust level
>(65K-68K), it will mean Boeing will also need to redesign the engine
>installation because the 65K-68K engine is larger than the 62K engine.
>It seems the A330-200 may have a 500-nm advantage over the -400ERX.
>I'm not sure if this will result in a handicap for the Boeing product or
>not.

	Judging by what I have read in a couple of places (Flight
International, most notably) it does indeed seem that the launch
of the 767-400ERX is fairly imminent, and yes, Delta does keep
getting mentioned. As for the range, two questions. Firstly, how
fixed is the design. If Delta were to push hard for the bigger
engine, could it still end up on the plane? Secondly, is the engine
really the limiting factor with respect to range, or is the problem
wing area? Diagrams of the -400ERX that I have seen show an extended
wing with 747-400 style winglets, which is going to increase the lift
somewhat but I would have thought that the wing was just about pushed
it its limit. In short, is the wing going to be able to lift the
weight necessary to get the full A330-200 range even if the aircraft
has bigger engines?

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

	"`I need every aluminum can you can find! And duct tape!"