Re: Unusual/Airbus TV Ad?

Date:         27 Dec 96 19:09:39
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

brian_wiklem@interactive.sony.com wrote:

> While watching Primetime Live last night (Washington D.C. feed, via
> DSS),
> during two of the commercial breaks, there were two (2) Airbus
> ads touting the A330...

> I just find it very unusual, and I haven't seen them on any other
> network channels.

Airbus has launched a new advertising campaign that is aimed at the flying
public.  They have done this in other countries when they are trying to
win a sale, particularly when the airline is government owned.  I assume
they believe that public pressure might influence government officials to
"encourage" the airline officials to buy Airbus products.  It remains to
be seen how effective these ads will be in the US as most passengers could
care less what kind of airplane they're on as long as the fare is right
and the flight's on time.  Survey's have repeatedly shown that the
majority of passengers do not know what kind of plane they are flying on
or how many engines it has.

Boeing has run TV ads in the past with messages encouraging air
transportation in general, honoring the workers who build the planes, or
the military (they ran a very popular ad during Desert Storm.  To my
knowledge, Boeing has never run any TV ads (within the past 15 years
anyway) that promote a specific airplane model or specific airplane
features to the general public.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane