Re: Windshear detectors: who has?

Date:         27 Dec 96 13:32:25
From:         s_odle@earthlink.net (Scott Odle)

On 13 Dec 96 04:26:03 , "Brian A. Reynolds"
<bareynol@cca.rockwell.com> wrote:

>Nope.
>
>Federal Aviation Regulation 121.358,
>Low-altitude windshear system equipment requirements, states:
>	...No person may operate a turbine-powered airplane unless it
>	is equipped with an approved sysem providing airborne windshear
	warning with flight guidance.

>The version that I'm looking at (of FAR Part 121) includes change 72 and
>is dated 10/30/89. (FAR Part 121 deals with the operation of aircraft in
>commercial service.)  So it has been an industry requirement to install
>windshear warning systmes for the last 7 years.
>
>Like many details in the documentary, they were incorrect in this one
>also.  In general however it was a good series.

 Except for those couple of airlines that were given exemptions so
that they could pursue the predictive windshear systems.  Those who
complied years ago all have reactive systems which do not provide the
advance warning since the predictive systems are only recently being
approved. Therfore, for the most part TLC was accurate on the point.