Re[2]: Fear of Flying

Date:         27 Dec 96 13:32:23
From:         "Peter Mchugh" <PMCHUGH@mail.hq.faa.gov>

>Waleed M. Meleis wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about safety.  The consensus
>> seems to be that a) it is unlikely that all engines will fail during a
>> flight, and b) if they did, there would be a reasonably good chance that the
>> plane would be able to land safely, as demonstrated by several recent
>> incidents.
><SNIP>
>
>An do tell your friend to make sure he wears his seatbelt. According to
>a somewhat dry, though incredibly thorough statistical analysis of
>aviation disasters called "Why Planes Crash" (sorry, can't remember the
>author), failure to wear a seatbelt is the top cause of injury while
>flying in commercial jet transports!

     The issue of seatbelt use can not be over emphasized.  Turbulence
     events are the single largest contributor (about 60%) to non-fatal air
     carrier accident stats.  More importantly, we are aware of only two
     accidents in which the injured passenger was wearing seatbelts
     although the seat belt sign was illuminated in about 90% of the cases.

     Injuries are sustained about equally by passengers and flight
     attendants (FAs experience slightly more frequent injuries, but have
     much greater exposure).

     Aircrews can help reduce these unnecessary accidents by:

        Effective coordination between flight deck and cabin when
     turbulence is anticipated.

        Establishment of company procedures for communicating and
     responding to anticipated turbulence.

        Using seat belt sign discipline (on only when necessary, enforced
     appropriately, and verbal instructions suggesting remaining in seat
     with belt fastened unless physiologically necessary, rather than
     encouraging "you may now get up and move around the cabin".)