Re: Boeing 767 question

Date:         27 Dec 96 13:32:22
From:         "Mark E. Ingram" <markt@mickey.mo-net.com>

On 16 Dec 1996, Steven G. Thomson wrote:

> The Air Canada 767 that made an deadstick landing on a closed runway at
> Gimli, Manitoba after running out of fuel at cruising altitude was unable
> to lower the flaps or slats.

Just a minor historical footnote to this ongoing discussion:  Whether or
not the ram air turbine (RAT) hydraulics had anything to do with the
nosegear collapsing upon the airplane's touchdown, I do not know, but I do
remember from reading reports at the time that if this gear had *not*
collapsed (and thus helped considerably to stop the aircraft), there could
have ensued *major* damage and casualties.

It seems that about half of the closed airport was being used to conduct
some sort of car races, and this area was jammed with spectators,
bleachers, support equipment - and of course, speeding cars.  Had a still
fast-moving airplane penetrated this area, the authorities speculated,
both the 767 passengers and people on the ground could have been engulfed
in a disaster of major proportions.

Mark E. Ingram

MarkT@Mo-Net.Com (also mingram@mail.orion.org)